Golden brown, crispy fried chicken that is juicy and perfectly seasoned a family favorite!
Hands-on Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Makes: 5 servings (2 pieces each)
1 broiler-fryer chicken (about 3.5 lb)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 bottle (48 fl oz) Pure Wesson® Vegetable Oil
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1-1/2 teaspoons onion powder
1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
3/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/2 cup whole milk
1. Discard giblets from chicken; cut chicken into 10 pieces. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
2. Pour oil into 6-quart saucepan or Dutch oven or until 1-inch deep. Heat oil to 350°F over medium heat.
3. Meanwhile, place flour, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and red pepper in 1-gallon resealable plastic bag. Shake to combine ingredients; pour half of flour mixture into second resealable bag; set aside. Whisk milk and egg together in shallow bowl; set aside.
4. Add dark meat chicken into first bag of seasoned flour. Shake to coat well; remove chicken shaking off excess flour. Dip pieces into milk mixture and transfer to second bag of flour. Shake well to coat.
5. Place coated chicken, skin side down, into preheated oil. Cook 10-12 minutes total, or until internal temperature reaches 180°F, turning occasionally to prevent excess browning. Drain on paper towels. Keep warm.
6. Make sure oil returns to 350°F. Repeat steps with remaining white meat pieces. Cook until breast reaches 170°F. Discard all unused flour and milk mixtures.